After School Discovery Program
We build strong kids, strong families, strong communities.
What is ASDP?
- SCHOOLS SERVED – All Lexington City Schools (elementary & middle), Central Middle, Davis-Townsend, Friedberg, Midway, Northwest, Reeds, Southmont, Tyro, Welcome. City schools meet at the Y, transportation from schools is provided. Most county sites are at each school. We do not have on-site care at Northwest or Tyro school sites. However, Northwest students can ride the Y bus to either of our programs at Midway or Welcome schools & Tyro students can ride to our Reeds location. Please contact the Y for more information.
The program operates daily except for holidays and days when there is no school due to bad weather. On these days care may be provided at the YMCA. Care will also be available on teacher work days and days when school dismisses early. The city school site is here at the Y in the Jim Dillon Center.
Our academic focus includes: 30 min-1 hour of homework time at each site (time is adjusted depending on how much homework the children have); activities are provided for younger children who do not have as much homework such as creating an alphabet book with construction paper and pictures from old magazines; basic math review games and projects
- STEM classes offered on site for children in our program and for others in the school who are interested
- LEGO camp with math and science challenges offered on site
- Sites do their own science experiments and math projects once to twice a month
- Staff monitor grades and holiday camp plans are created to focus on areas where our children need help
- Extra time/tutoring and review is given during End of Quarter testing and End of Grade testing
- Sites do cooking activities with their children (reading recipe, following directions, etc)
- Story hour once a week at each site
Guest speakers at our program sites include: college athletes, DCSO CSI team, local fire dept, librarians, Hospice of Davidson County, local ministers who have explained the meaning of Christmas and Easter to our sites, deputy sheriffs, karate studio, light show (with glow sticks)
Service projects have included: canned food drives, toiletry drives, toy drives, making cards and decorations for local nursing homes and Hospice patients
Christian Focus includes: Daily devotion, prayers before snack and during devotion, monthly bible verse or bible story focus
What else makes us WOW:
- Arts and crafts once a week
- Field trips
- Zumba, yoga, boot camp fitness activities at all sites
- Music/Singing activities
- Drama exposure through making their own skits to demonstrate YMCA values and through guest speakers
- Manners lessons provided at each site
- All day camp (holidays, workdays, etc) lesson plans are carefully prepared and grade level appropriate for K-8th grade – they include math, reading, science, social studies, physical fitness, guest speakers, swimming, bowling, trips to the park and more
- Care provided on-site when school is dismissed early for inclement weather and at the YMCA when schools are closed due to inclement weather
ASDP will meet in accordance with the school year schedule. ASDP will operate daily from school dismissal until 6:00 pm. Teacher work days, holidays and days when school is canceled due to weather, care will be offered at the YMCA or at some school sites. On snow days, care will start at 7:00 a.m., or if there is a delay in the Y opening, care will start one hour after the Y opens. If the Y is closed, the after school program is also closed. Early dismissal due to weather will operate at the school site but parents are encouraged to pick up their children as soon as possible. The program will not operate on the following days: Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Friday after, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, Good Friday and Memorial Day. On days when all day care is provided, care will begin at 7:00am at the YMCA, or as early as 7:30am at school sites. Pick-up time will still be no later than 6:00pm. Children should bring a bag lunch & a snack on full days.
YMCA OUT OF SCHOOL DAY CHILD CARE
On all out of school days (workdays, holidays, snow days) during the school year, if your child attends after school care at the Y, out of school days are included free! On out of school days we offer all-day child care from 7:00am to 6:00pm. We divide children into groups by grade level and do a variety of activities throughout the day. We’ll play games, swim, do arts & crafts, make new friends and so much more. If you are not currently enrolled in our program, please call or email Cheryl Shaw at 249-2177 or firstname.lastname@example.org to sign your child up for all day care. The cost is $29/day for members and $35/day for potential members plus a $30 registration fee per child.
EARLY RELEASE DAYS/DROP-IN DAYS
On all early release days during the school year, if your child attends after school care at the Y, early release days are included free! For those children not attending our after school program, the J. Smith Young YMCA will offer drop-in care at all after school sites from dismissal – 6:00pm for any child in K-8th grade. The cost is $11.50 for members and $14.50 for potential members, plus a $30 registration fee for each child. If you have any questions about early release/drop-in option at the Y, please contact Cheryl Shaw at 249-2177 or email@example.com.
The YMCA establishes membership dues and program fees necessary to meet operational and maintenance costs. However, it is the policy of the YMCA that no one be denied the benefit of membership or participation in programs due to financial hardship. We encourage people who might benefit from participation in the YMCA but are in need of financial assistance to contact the YMCA. Funds for this purpose are provided through contributions to our annual sustaining membership campaign and the United Way. The YMCA will assist people based on demonstrated need and the YMCA’s ability to fund assistance.
A $30 registration fee is required with every registration. The following fees are paid monthly or bi-monthly. Anyone who chooses to pay for the entire school year at the beginning of the school year will be given an 8% discount. Fees can also be paid monthly by bank draft. Contact Cheryl Shaw at 249-2177 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information regarding bank drafts.
Monthly fees Registration fee is $30 per child